This post is part of my video blog: In The Lab With Jay Jay.
In this video I solder three different sized bodge wires onto some perfboard for practice and for the purpose of exposition. After attaching the three bodge wires I cover them with UV solder mask.
If you haven’t heard of the expression “bodge wire” before, ChatGPT will explain.
I want to thank my mate Bruce from Branchus Creations for recommending the enameled wire of various sizes, the Swann Morton blades, and the Amtech flux.
I got three rolls of this enameled copper wire from AliExpress:
- 1KG Enameled Copper Winding Wire 0.05 0.06 0.1 0.13 0.2 0.4 0.8 0.5mm 0.65 1.0 1.4 1.3mm Cable Magnet Wire Winding Wire Coil red
The diameters of the various rolls I got were:
I got the “coppery” colour, not the red stuff.
The Swann Morton blade handles I got were these:
I got three types of blades in #15C, #15, and #10 sizes:
- Swann Morton Surgical Scalpel Blades Sterile Carbon Steel Available In 7 Size #15C 20Pcs
- Swann Morton Surgical Scalpel Blades Sterile Carbon Steel Available In 7 Size #15 20Pcs
- Swann Morton Surgical Scalpel Blades Sterile Carbon Steel Available In 7 Size #10 20Pcs
The #15C Swann Morton blade is the smallest and is so far my favourite. The #15C is the blade I use in this video.
My flux is:
- 100% AMTECH NC-559-ASM flux 10pcs cleaning-free low-smoke BGA soldering station commonly used 559 flux Send booster
The industrial/precision tweezers I mention in the video are these:
- Hakko CHP 3C-SA Stainless Steel Non-Magnetic Precision Tweezers with Very Fine Point Tips for Microelectronics Applications, 4-1/4″ Length (5 Pack)
- TOWOT Industrial Tweezers (SA11-15) (I got the five pack)
The solder lugs I refer to are these:
The perfboard I used in this video was a 2x8cm board which I picked up from AliExpress:
- 34 Pcs Double Sided PCB Board Tinned ( 2X8 3X7 4X6 5X7 7×9 cm ) Prototype Kit FR4 Printed Universal Circuit Perfboard for DIY
I use two microscopes in this video:
In the video I reference my thermal imager:
My gloves are:
- 24Pieces/12 Pairs Work Gloves For PU Palm Coating Safety Protective Glove Nitrile Professional Safety Suppliers Color: PU1350NV -DMF; Size: S
My head-mounted magnifying glasses are:
- Bysameyee Magnifying Glass with Light for Close Work, Rechargeable Lighted Head-Mounted Magnifier Visor with 2 Jeweler’s Loupe LEDs and Interchangeable Headband for Reading, Jewelry Work, Watch Repair
The soldering iron I use in this video is a part of my Horusdy soldering station:
- Horusdy 2in1 Soldering Station Solder Iron Rework Hot Air Blower Digital SMD Display + 11 Tips, 4 Nozzles & Tweezer Set
My desoldering pump came in this kit:
- Kaisi Professional Solder Auxiliary Tool 6 piece double-sided repair tool with Desoldering Wick & Desoldering Pump
The solder mask I ordered was this green stuff, but the stuff they actually sent me was red:
- 2pcs/Lot MECHANIC Green UV Curable Welding Solder Mask Tool For PCB SMD Circuit Board Solder Welding Fluxes Photosensitive Inks
The solder I use in this video is:
My paint brush is the 5/0 sized brush from this set:
- Artist Paint Brushes set-10 Pcs Best Professional Detail Paint Brush, Miniature Brushes Will Keep a Fine Point and Spring, for Watercolor, Oil, Acrylic, Nail Art & Models,Paint by Numbers
The blow torch I mention in this video is this one:
- Gas Burner, 900°C To 1300°C, Flame Adjustable Butane Blow Torch, 360° Omni-directional Use for Cooking, BBQs, Camping, Sweets Making, Charcoal Fire, Roasting, Welding, Etc. (Butane Gas Not Included)
My Kapton tape and tape dispenser are these:
- Kapton Tape 5/8/10/15/20mm 100ft BGA High Temperature Heat Resistant Polyimide Gold Adhesive Tape For Electronic Industry 33m (various sizes)
- Green Multi-Roll Heat Tape Dispenser Sublimation 1″ and 3″Core Double Reel Cores Sublimation for Heat Transfer Tape, Semi-Automatic Tape Dispenser with Compartment Slots
The bench multimeter I use in the video is a:
- OWON XDM1041 Bench Multimeter
The isopropyl (IPA) alcohol I use in this video is this stuff: